Eleven neighbourhoods will be re-signed with a 40-kilometre per hour
speed limit that will gradually reduce speeds in neighbourhood areas
The reduced speed limit of 40 km/h from 50 km/h addresses the actions of the Transportation Master Plan related to safety goals to achieve Vision Zero that include reduced speed limits within neighbourhoods.
The 40 km/h speed limit will apply to residential streets in some neighbourhoods across the city. The City’s Traffic By-Law (555-200) has been amended. Each neighbourhood receiving the reduced speed limit will require new 40 km/h speed limit signs at entry and exit points to neighbourhoods. This is a change from the current process of placing speed limit signs every 300 metres along each road.
These neighbourhoods will receive the 40 km/h speed signs in the fall of 2019:
- Ward 1 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: South Service Road, Etobicoke Creek, Lakeshore Road East and Dixie Road
- Ward 2 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: South Sheridan Way, Southdown Road, Royal Windsor Drive and Winston Churchill Boulevard
- Ward 3 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Bloor Street, Dixie Road, Dundas Street East and Tomken Road
- Ward 4 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Bloor Street, Cawthra Road, Dundas Street East, Canadian Pacific Railway, Hurontario Street and Central Parkway East
- Ward 5 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Canadian National Railway, Goreway Drive, Derry Road East and Airport Road
- Ward 6 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Burnhamthorpe Road West, Central Parkway West, Erindale Station Road, Dundas Street West and the Credit River
- Ward 7 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Queensway, Hurontario Street, Queen Elizabeth
- Ward 8 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Unity Drive, Winston Churchill Boulevard, Burnhamthorpe Road West and Ridgeway Drive
- Ward 9 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Canadian Pacific Railway, Derry Road and Winston Churchill Boulevard
- Ward 10 – Derry Road West, Tenth Line West, Britannia Road West and Ninth Line
- Ward 11 – Neighbourhood boundaries between: Britannia Road West, Credit River, Eglinton Avenue West and Mississauga Road/Queen Street South
In 2017, the Government of Ontario passed new legislation under the Safer School Zones Act (Bill 65) that amended the Highway Traffic Act, allowing municipalities to designate areas where speed limits can be lower than 50 km/hr.