Colonel Peter Adamson, a retired British army officer and influential settler in the area, was instrumental in building the first Anglican Church for the Township in the Village. The first rector, Reverend James Magrath, bought 200 acres on the north side of Dundas Street and called the farm “Erindale” after his homeland.
The little Village of Springfield grew steadily. Apart from the grist mill, saw mill, stores, taverns and inns, it had a turning mill and a chair factory by 1851. After 1890 the villagers chose to call the Village “Erindale” in honour of Magrath, in reference to his homeland – Ireland.
Erindale was also home to Price’s dairy, and it was the first diary to produce pasteurized milk in Canada in 1904. In 1910 a hydro electric dam was completed, flooding the valley, forming ‘Lake Erindale’. The power plant operated until 1923 and the dam was removed in 1940. In 1919 a fire wiped out much of the central portion of the village, although many reminders of the past remain.
The second half of the 20th century has seen the urbanization of the area surrounding the Village; from 1961 to 1963 Dundas Highway was widened to four lanes; in 1967 Erindale College (now The University of Toronto Mississauga), just north of the former village, opened. A few landmarks remain of “Old Erindale” including: St. Peter’s Church (1887) and rectory (1861), the former Erindale Methodist Church (1877), the Robinson-Adamson House (c. 1830), the former Erindale Public School (1922) and the street patterns with their names commemorating the early settlers, Adamson, Robinson, Proudfoot, Thompson and Jarvis.
Erindale amalgamated with other villages in Toronto Township in 1968 to form the Town of Mississauga. The town became the City of Mississauga in 1974.
In 1983, village residents fought to kept the character of the community. Mississauga News June 8 1983
This is a chapter “The Governor’s Road 1982” from a book “The Governor’s Road” by Mary & Margaret McBurney, published in 1982. The chapter refers to Dundas Street as “road” but the street had various names including Dundas Road, Highway 5 and more common in the early days, as the Governor’s Road, especially from the town of Dundas and west.